Re: arp cache flushing?

On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 06:56, Justin Clacherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should an arp entry be flushed if you are constantly talking to the
> hardware pointed to in the arp table?
>
> I have a problem where my connection is experiencing a 30-45 second
> pause every 30 minutes, this pause effectively cuts off an https
> connection we have running for a specific application.  It seems as
> though every 30 minutes there is an arp request to the gateway at our
> ISP which is causing the problem, I assume this is because the arp
> table is being flushed every 30 minutes.  I have tried to fix the
> problem (won't know if it is successful until tomorrow) by adding a
> manual entry to the arp table with 'arp -s'.  I would have thought
> that if you had talked to the gateway recently, then the arp entry
> would not be flushed, is this correct?

Unless something is seriously strange with your network, it shouldn't
take more than a few secs to update to arp for a host's address.  I
haven't looked at the timeouts lately, but entries in the arp table on
Linux usually time out faster than 30 minutes.  I don't see anything
obvious w/sysctl that does indicate the timeout, but I'm pretty certain
it's on the order of a few minutes.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley@xxxxxxxxxxx
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *