Linux Slapper worm - New variants ?

Hi all,

My ISP has advised me of possible Linux slapper worm activity on one of
our Linux servers, running Red Hat Linux 6.2

This machine does NOT have apache or any ssl / ssh package installed.
To my knowledge, Linux slappers exploit vulnerabilities in openssl libraries.

I have searched my system for the files of the variants .A, .B and .C.
Nothing unusual has been found. I checked the /tmp directory.

Here are the slapper variants that I personally am aware of:

# Linux.slapper '.A' variant
# --------------------------
#
# UDP listening port: 2002
# uuencoded file: .uubugtraq
# Source code file: .bugtraq.c
# Compiled binary file: .bugtraq

# Linux.slapper '.B' variant
# -------------------------
#
# UDP listening port: 1978
# uuencoded file: .cinik.uu
# Source code file: .cinik.c
# Compiled binary file: .cinik

# Linux.slapper '.C' variant
# -------------------------
#
# UDP listening port: 4156
# uuencoded file: .unlock.uu
# Archive file (.tgz format): .unlock
# Source code files: .unlock.c, .update.c
# Compiled binary files: httpd, update

The hassle is that we seem to have a very unstable personal mail server that
seems to keeping giving denial of service 'attacks'. Out of the blue, people
who connect to this server are not able to establish a connection, or the
connection just get's interrupted.

Does anyone know of a tool I can use to scan my system to be sure?
Are there any new variants out there that are not discussed on Redhat or
Symantec?

Any suggestions welcome

Are there any commands that I can run on the command line to check for any erratic
network card activity ? which logs can I check?

Jason

Jason Dale
Senior programmer / Unix administrator

Maxxess Solutions (Pty) Ltd