Re: Starting KDE or GNOME

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 12:33 pm, Michael Weber wrote:
> Option B is to use VNC which gives you the entire Gnome/KDE desktop
> environment.  There are pluses and minuses, speed and security being
two
> that flash to mind quickly, but you get the whole #! (that's
'shebang'
> not a swear word) rather than just the single X-app.

That doesn't work as well as I had hoped.  I set up VNC on my laptop
and connected from the XP box my employer provides.  I could get a
KDE desktop in the VNC session but after shutting down VNC, I
couldn't launch new apps on the console. :-(  Apparently shutting
down the one session stops the dcop server for all sessions.   I
didn't investigate further but went back to using fvwm and xterm.

> My $0.02.
>
> -Michael
>
> If Bill Gates had a penny for every time Windows crashed...... Oh
wait,
> he does!

> Excerpt of message (sent 11 March 2003) by Ryan McDougall:
> > More like Windows 2000 is running an X11 emulator.
>
> Agree; I didn't express myself clearly.  Windows 2000 with X-Win is
> your X server.  While at work, that's what you use *in place of*
> xstart/XFree86 and gnome-wm/metacity.
>
> Dave Tibbals put it better than I could:
> > You don't need to invoke gnome or kde from the terminal on your
> > windows box to get the gui's of the applications
>
> You explain,
> > Well because I am forced to use Windows 2000 here at work and I
> > would like to utilize some of the gui tools on my linux box...
>
> Makes sense.  As Dave said, just type the name of the tool into your
> terminal window.  (Try, e.g., 'xclock' to see immediately if X11 is
> set up right.)
>
> I maintain that there's no point in starting up an X server on a
> remote machine.
>
> Maybe your original question could be rephrased, "how do I get
gnome's
> panel to start up applications from a menu instead of typing their
> names?" -- You could try running 'gnome-panel'.  I didn't have much
> luck under cygwin/X -- the panel comes up, but then crashes; the
> message is "file obox.c: line 107 (get_class): should not be
reached".

>   Christian
>

> --

- --
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
The difference between robbery and taxes is simple:   The first is
someone threatening to hurt you if you do not give them your money.
The second is legal.