Re: [Fwd: ScanMail Message: To Sender Match eManager setting and take

Jay Crews wrote:

> Andrew Kelly writes....

> > Profanity blocking can be a very legitimate tool in the right
> > circumstances. It's a good way to filter a great deal of
> > pornographic spam if you have no other blockage in place.
>
> This assumes you don't want porn..................?

Oh, I wasn't talking specifics, just offering some
examples. One man's porn is another man's profession.

> > In a standard office environment profanity can be an indicator
> > of non-work related traffic (or at least inappropriate
> > correspondance). There are any number of reasons to
> > filter profanity; some legitimate, some less so.
>
> Well, if you are doing it for legal reasons, maybe.  But
> just looking for words that shouldn't be used in formal
> letters (idiot, jerk, brainless, butt, joint, etc), that's just
> a manager who is a "brainless jerk", or a sysop with WAY
> too much time on their hands.

Agreed.

> I've got a friend that works for a company like that.  It's
> AMAZING what gets kicked out.  Suggested he "come down to the
> beach and lets drink some beers."  "Beach" and "beer" got
> rejected.

This gets into the area that many camouflage behind the
term "political correctness". I can't speak on this subject
without going insane and needing to bite the friggin
intestines out of any randomly chosen US congressman.

> > I pesonally don't give a hoot if people want to filter
> > their mail or not.
> > But it bloody well should be a proper filter, shouldn't it?
>
> Well.......if __I__ want to block what comes __IN__ to
> my mail spool, that's one thing.
> If my ISP wants to determine what comes __IN__ or goes __OUT__, then
> that's clearly censorship, and I'd DEFINITELY get another ISP.

Yes, I agree and good point.
An ISP should either relay mail or not relay mail. Regardless
of which they do, they've certainly got no business running
their fingers through the mail unless specifically requested
to do so by one of their customers.

Andy