Re: Can't activate /dev/st0

> After a completely new Psyche installation on my IBM Thinkpad, to fix
> incurable brokenness caused by overly-ambitious apt-get settings
(another
> story), the Symbios 53c810 host adapter in my docking station is
correctly
> recognized at boot-time (it wasn't before), but the Seagate Scorpion
DDS3
> DAT drive is not. The st driver is not automatically installed. I
can try
> 'insmod st', and it will appear in 'lsmod', but 'tar tv /dev/st0'
fails
> with the following:
>
> tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device
>
> Before I reinstalled I had to boot the ORIGINAL kernel (errata
kernels
> seemed to be confused by the PCI-PCI bridges in the docking station -
-
> more brokenness?), then load the sym53c8xx_2 and st modules
manually. I
> could then use the tape drive all I wanted.
>
> I'm in a bit of a bind. Without /dev/st0 I have no access to the
backup
> tapes I made before reinstalling.

Hi there. I recenmtly had the same type of issue with an HP SureStore
DLT 80 drive. What I had to do was 'rmmod ide-scsi', then 'modprobe
st'. I do that in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file so it does it every time
it boots. With that my drive is now recognized and I can use it. Hope
this helps a bit or gives you an idea.

> Help??
>
> --Doc Savage
>   Fairview Heights, IL