Re: DVD-RW recorder causes IDE bus resets

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, ericb@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have the Pioneer DVR-105 drive as well, and have no trouble with
> it whatsoever. I've used it both as a master and a slave on
> different channels. If there's anything in particular you would like
> me to check out, let me know.
>
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hdc: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

The chipset of your IDE controller would be helpful.  I tried the
built-in VIA chipset instead of the Silicon Image (SIIG) controller,
and Linux went berserk, crashing roughly after a few seconds (similar
to when the bus resets happened on the SI bus).

I also tried the other suggestion in this thread of setting PIO to 4,
it didn't help.

In the end, I took a 3.5 Firewire enclosure and hooked up the 5.25
DVD-RW drive to it; wrapped a tie-wrap around the whole thing.  Over
Firewire from the same drive, I got no errors at all on full 4 GB
burns, and it's immediately visible as a SCSI drive instead of the
ide-scsi driver.

I'm not really sure what to do now.  I'm tempted to stick with
Firewire (maybe I should upgrade to 2.5 though), but the enclosure
could be an electrical hazard since it's stuck open, clamped around
the drive.  I think I'll try a third IDE controller in my system, just
for the DVD-RW, and see how that works.

Thanks
Ted