Once I build a modularized kernel to get HPFS, how does this affectupdates via up2date?

OK. RedHat has, for whatever reason, stopped delivering RedHat Linux with the HPFS file system module, but the source is still there so I can generate it if I want, which I do so I can get to some OS/2 partitions on the hard drive. I have the pertinent section of the Customization Guide before me, and it doesn't look hard to do, even though this will be my first kernel build.

Once I do this, though, how often do I get to go through the process again? I would expect it with a move from one version to another, but how about kernel updates via up2date within a version? Thanks.

James Jones