rpm and up2date hang

All,

I'm having the following two problems with my RedHat 8.0 system, and I
suspect they may be related to one another, but can't be sure. My problems
are as follows:

(1) Attempts to use "rpm" cause rpm to hang, requiring use of the "kill"
command to terminate them. I can actually install software via rpm, but the
rpm process never terminates. Attempts to use rpm to query the database hang
and return no results.

(2) up2date completely hangs, with absolutely no output. Again, I have to go
and kill these processes manually.

I tried using "rpm --rebuilddb", but this statement also hangs. I've noticed
there is an "initdb" flag, but I'm hesitant to use it, as it seems that it
will completely destroy my existing database.

Are these problems related? Is there a good solution to these problems? I
went and grabbed the latest version of up2date, but rpm told me I already
have the most recent version...

Thanks very much.

Michael Stack
redhat-8.0@xxxxxxxxxxxx