RE: nameserver host finding

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 15:27, Mirabella, Mathew J wrote:
> hi.
> >  why don't you use ifup ppp0 and ifdown ppp0, and then in
> >  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts you could say BOOTPROTO=dialup
> i don't quite understand what you mean here.  I am new to linux at the moment.

If you use a graphical tool to start you off things will probably be a
bit easier, though I realise that may not be an option.  'neat' will
create these files for you.  Have a look in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and see whats there.  Basically they're
scripts which do things when you start and stop network connections.

In particular /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 contains info on
how to configure the network when you activate ppp0 (usually the first
dialup connection).  For example, one line in there `BOOTPROTO=' can be
set to dialup to get ppp information when you start a dial up
connection.  ifup-ppp0 and ifdown-ppp0 are scripts that do whatever
needs to be done when you start and stop this connection.

The `ifup ppp0' shorthand for saying `ifconfig ppp0 up'.

If you don't have a graphical tool to start you off, then get back to us
and we'll sort something out.

Hope this helps,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
The worst part of having success is trying to find someone who is happy for you.