Re: Mozilla accessing modem

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Kevin Farmer wrote:

>Hi All.
>
>I am fairly new to Linux.  I have my modem configured and working but I
>cannot figure out how to get Mozilla to automatically activate the modem
>when it is launched.  Right now I have to activate and deactivate the
>modem by going to:  System Tools --> Network Device Control.  Also, when

I think what you need is "Dial on Demand"
http://open.nit.ca/wvdial/WvDial-DialD-FAQ.html

>I run wvdial at the prompt (both as a root and as a normal user) I get
>the error message that the section [Dialer Defaults] does not exist in
>wvdial.conf and I don't know what those are.

Have you run "wvdialconf"

>My modem belongs to group uucp and has read and write permissions only
>for the owner and for that group.  I have tried changing the permissions
>to allow "others" to read, write and execute the modem but that stops
>Mozilla from launching cleanly (and seems to add a phantom modem to the

How is Mozilla interacting with the modem?  Is there some new feature in
Mozilla that does this?  An URL would be greatly appreciated.

>From my notes of what I had to do to get wvdial to work:
You may want to add the following to /etc/console.perms in the #Device
classes section:

<modem>=/etc/wvdial.conf /dev/modem /dev/ttyS*

And the following in the #Permission definitions section:

<console>  0660 <modem>      0660 root

And then touch an empty file into /etc/security/console.apps for wvdial:
touch /etc/security/console.apps/wvdial

I never really reviewed this for sanity (no doubt someone can correct
me), but if my notes are correct this is what it took to get wvdial to
work as I expected.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley