Re: kernel config

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 12:56, Dave M wrote:
> Hello
>
> I typically use the rpm's to upgrade my kernel -
> occasionally I customize it (add ntfs support) by
> using one of the default .config files.
> What scares me away from compiling my own kernel is
> that I always mess up sound support. RH's default
> .config Just Works. Based on an lsmod (from RH default
> config kernel compile), I know that I need to add in
> es1371, ac97_codec, and soundcore. What else am I
> missing? How can I find out what else I need?

If the RedHat configuration works for compiling kernels, then just use
that for your sources.  In your kernel source directory, copy
configs/kernel-<of-your-choice>.config to .config and then compile the
kernel as normal.

eg, in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-24.8.0/
cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i386.config ./.config
make xconfig
Then you can make your changes as you like (but don't touch the sound
options!)  If you want to use one of your config files from an older
kernel, replace make xconfig with make oldconfig.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
Take your work seriously but never take yourself seriously; and do not