Re: Most Suitable Server for RedHat Linux?

On Sunday 02 March 2003 05:23 pm, loeung vidol wrote:
> Thank you all very much for your information. Maybe, I'll go for
> compaq (HP/Compaq Proliant ML350 as suggested by Andre) but still
> checking others (IBM, Dell, ...). I would appreciate if you could
> give more advise on HP/Compaq servers (what problems encountered) so
> I know some of the things to expect.
>
> Thanks again,
> Vidol

I'd advise you to re-check the Dell.  My compnay bought several to use
as production servers.  Several had some intermittant problems and two
just would not boot after the image was copied on them.  We discovered
the for any given model, so two are alike until they are on the same
production run and even then there is a good chance the innards will be
different.

Seems that when Dell runs out of parts, rather than get the same, they
just get an "equivalent".  They means, if you have a large number of
servers, that your development and testbed boxes may be totally
different from production.  Makes things VERY hard to debug when you
server goes south.

Now we buy HP (Compaq under the HP name) and we know that all will be
the same for the same model.

THis may not be an issue if you only need 1-2 servers.  I deploy 60-70
at a time.

mw

Registered Linux - 256979
NRA Life
ARS: WØTMW

dangerous content by F-Prot and MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.