Re: Upgraded to 2.4.20 kernel. Now I have wait(2) syslog msgs.

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> After upgrading from Red Hat 8.0 kernel to the new 2.4.20 rawhide kernel,
> I now get these warning messages in my syslog:
>
> Mar  1 13:52:19 saturn kernel: application bug: spamd(8587) has SIGCHLD
> set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().
> Mar  1 13:52:19 saturn kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait').
> Workaround activated.
>
> I also get warnings from crond and privoxy.
>
> Is this a spamassassin/crond/privoxy bug or should I be switching back to
> the 2.4.18 kernel?
>
> I do understand that this is a rawhide kernel, but I'm not sure who else
> to ask this question to.

The rawhide list would be one place...  :-)

However, this sounds like a mismatch more than a bug.  If you play with
the rawhide stuff you need to be prepared for this sort of thing.  What
you do is upgrade the packages that give you the warnings to the rawhide
versions or get them from the new phoebe beta.

Generally speaking....if you are not willing to deal with these quirks or
can't accept a dead system (can happen) you shouldn't be playing with
fire.  :-)

Regards,
Ed

--