Mounting NTFS not supported??

I have seen documentation that claims that one can mount an NTFS file
system under Linux and read it.   That is, "mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1
/mnt/windows" should work.  It does not, however -- an error message is
given to the effect that the kernel does not support the ntfs file
system.  (Yes, I tried NTFS also, just in case).

The manpage for mount indicates that it is supported, and the
documentation that I saw earlier (a HOWTO) indicated that NTFS had been
supported since the 2.2 kernel.

Anyone know the story???

John