Re: Slow connection establishment using telnet

Some issues concerning DNS. If you use your "local" DNS and resolver, it
is better to append a "forward first" and "forwarders
your.xDSL-dns.provider.ip-number" directives in /etc/named.conf or
equivalent (i suppose you are using Bind 9.0)

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 09:25, André Heßling wrote:

> I am using Linux (Red Hat 8.0 with Kernel 2.4.20) on a second computer.
> It's going online using WinRoute on a Windows computer (NAT).
>
> The Linux PC has IP address 192.168.1.103 (name: linux)
> The Windows PC has IP address 192.168.1.100 (name: andre)
>
> Gateway and /etc/resolv.conf are configured correctly.
>
> Everything works fine but when I want to establish a connection with
> telnet on the Linux computer for example to google.com, the
> establishment lasts about 10 sec.
> But then it works fast.
>
> The command is:
> telnet google.com 80
>
> The resolve via "host google.com" is usual fast.
> And if I telnet the IP address of Google instead of the hostname, it
> works fine, too.
This is clearly a DNS issue. Check it.

> The routingtable is:
> Ziel            Router          Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
> lo
> default         andre           0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0
>
> /etc/resolv.conf:
> nameserver 192.168.1.100
>
> /etc/hosts:
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
This is not OK. when you ping linux, which nic is supposed to pong,
loopback or 192.168.1.103?
Better change your domainname and hostname to something more specific.

> 192.168.1.103           localhost.localdomain linux
> 192.168.1.100           andre
>
> I assume that there is a problem/timeout resolving hostnames.
> There is no such a problem under X for example in Mozilla or XChat.
> It only seem to be programs that work under the shell (like telnet or
> Lynx).
Logs, show us the logs. Ping everything and note the ping statistics.
A socket connection is better than a mis-configured resolver or DNS.

> The delay also occurs when I do a "telnet localhost 22".
Check your tcp-wrappers at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny

> In the logfile of WinRoute I see that the computer does a (reverse)
> lookup
> even when I say localhost.
> I think that this is wrong.
Yes, and it is not a Red Hat 8.0 related, i think.