Re: 8.0 install

> Hi
>
> I had to attempt to reinstall 8.0 on a machine that had it working before. Looks like i
installed too much junk and the x server crashed badly amongst other things.

> Here's the problem.
>
> I get to the part where the partitions are to be formated and the installation crashes
after it comes to the end of formating the last partition.

> Basically nothing will install, i have tried a few different os's.
>
> I might have messed up my disk by fdisking it with a win 95 disk and formating, or my
mbr is messed up.

> Any ideas ?
>
> Marek

Hello,
Depending on the hard drive brand you can go the their site and get a software to create a
bootable
floppy that will run diagnostics on the drive to see if it's bad.  If it tests good then
you may have something
else going on with your hardware.
  Another thing you can try is booting the install media and type 'linux text' and press
enter
to do a text install.  On machines where the GUI installer won't run this can help.  If it
does
break on the install, press 'ctrl-alt-F4' to see any kernel messages that may give you a
clue.
As a last resort, boot the install media and type 'linux rescue' and hit enter a few times
to get to a
prompt.  You can completly wipe the drive with the following command [assuming your drive
is hda]

cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda

and wait for the process to finish.  This will blow away all partitions/mbr etc.  Reboot
the install
media and try to install 8.0 again [It will say you need to initialize the drive, say
'yes']

Those are my few ideas and I hope that is helpful.

Kevin Brouelette, RHCE