More font queries

OK - if I have a number of TrueType fonts that I believe to be OK, but they refuse to render ... where do I look?

E.g., http://www.downloadfreefonts.com/fontsb2/blobs.zip

I've put it in a valid dir, set that up correctly (AFAIK) with tt1mkdir [or whatever it is], it shows up in xlsfonts, etc. I've made both current config files point to that dir. (old xfs and new fontconfig)

Image-Magick can quite happily 'display' the .ttf file, but I can't make any other app. work with it. In StarOffice, that and a no. of other TTFs show up as blank entries in the font menu (i.e., failed to render).

Gimp 1.3 again lists the font as available, but falls back to a default when it's selected.

Is this the respective apps., Pango, libttf, libXft, .... ?

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature