Re: System freeze / hang, ping responding, can connect but no serviceanswers

Stefan Neufeind wrote:

Hi,

I got a very weird problem with a RedHat-server. Occasionally (can't even say that its under "high load" or something like that) the system freezes / hangs. It's possible to ping the machine (responds normal) and you can even connect to ports like pop3 (110) which were open before. The connection is established but no service responds. The same for mail in general, ssh, http etc. Nothing! Even console doesn't work anymore until reboot.

The PC consists of a ASUS-P4B533-V-board with 2 Maxtor-HDDs and a cd-
drive. Machine is running regular redhat 8.0 (kernel etc.), with all RHN-updates applied, running latest apache 1.3.xx ...

It's a server in a serverhousing-farm and it's there for production use. So I can't simply take it off for a few days to play around with it.

Had the same problems with another server, different board, running RedHat 7.3 with all updates applied. After looking for every possible problem-solution I thought maybe it's a hardware defect. So I changed from Athlon-cpu to a Intel P4 with different board, also installed RedHat 8.0 (instead of 7.3) new from scratch. But problem still exists.

Only common thing: Both computers using same Maxtor-harddisks. But could this be the problem? Unfortunately (as described above) I can't simply take the computer down, change harddisks etc. ... not possible.

Did anybody experience such problem?

Hello,

It's difficult to tell you what the problem is.
Is it possible to send me your /var/log/messages file?
Also enable the SysRQ function, so you can see if that still works.

rgrds,

         Bart