RE: network backups with tar - cannot generate passwordless SSH key

Have you edited your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file correctly? You need to
specify the correct location for the authorized_keys file and whether to
use public key authentication or not. In my situation I am using
protocol version 2 so my authorized keys file is
~/.ssh/authorized_keys2. The following was from my sshd_config file. See
the following and hope this helps

Snipet...../etc/ssh/sshd_config

LoginGraceTime 600
PermitRootLogin yes
StrictModes yes

RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
AuthorizedKeysFile     ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2

# rhosts authentication should not be used
RhostsAuthentication no