RH8 - Sendmail Problems

Hi all... Sorry if any of this has been covered.  I tried to search the
archives, but didn't see it.

I am running RH8 on a 600mhz PIII desktop with tons of disk and RAM.
I'd like to be able to receive email directly on that box (e.g.
me@thatbox.domain.edu) so I opened up SMTP on the firewall.  The
computer, however, is refusing email inbound from other hosts.  If I
nmap the computer, I see that port 25 is 'up' by in status closed.

I have read on the Sendmail homepage's FAQ that RH7.1 and later includes
a client only version of sendmail and to refer to RH's info on how to
reconfig.  I went to RH's site and read two documents @
www.redhat.com/support/resources/mail_news/mail.html but still haven't
found an answer.

So the following questions linger:
	1) Is there an easy way to tweak sendmail to allow inbound mail from
outside the localhost TO addresses on the localhost?
	2) If there isn't, I've considered installing procmail or qmail
instead... Anyone have any experience with these (good/bad)?
	3) According to both the procmail and qmail FAQs, they may not play
nice on machines that had sendmail installed as the default MTA and that
removing sendmail may cause the OS to balk.  Anyone have anything to
respond to that?

Feel free to reply by email or post.

Sincerely,
Brian Dellinger
mysticaldluxe /--at--/ softhome /--dot--/ net