Re: network backups with tar

Hi all,

Thanks for the input thus far.

I forgot to mention that I had a working solution by piping the output of a
find command
to cpio, which creates an archive file on the other server. The problem is
that the recipient
server keeps asking me for a friggin' password, which means I have to
babysit my backups
rather than be able to run them from the cron system. Is there a way I can
set up the
machines so that the root password between these two machines in a LAN does
not get
asked for, or alternatively find a way to specify a username and password on
the
command line ?

(Yes, I know that is not safe ...)

BTW, when I run the command

# tar cvzf - /tmp/testdir | ssh user@209.212.123.157 'cat > ~/backup.tgz'

It asks me for a password, and when I type the correct root password in, ( I
logged into the 'sending'
server as root ) , it tells me "Permission denied, please try again".

I have spent literally weeks looking for a simple easy-to-use tool that can
run on RH 8 and RH 7
which has the following characteristics:

1) Does not need a GUI
2) Relatively simple to setup and use
3) Can backup to a network drive, WITHOUT user intervention.
4) Can be run in the task scheduler
5) Can compress archives
6) Allows you to backup directories as well as filesystems. ( Unlike dump !)

Ideally, I want to use tools that are already apart of the system, but I am
willing
to compromise. ( I will look into using 'flexbackup' , which someone
suggested )

Regards, Jason