Re: how to forbid someone to do an ftp outside of my network?

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Raoul Beauduin wrote:

> the situation is like this:
>
> we have about 10 pc's connected to a local network 192.168.*.* ("my"
> network). we are going through a firewall to connect to internet.
> I want some students not being able at all to make an outgoing ftp to
> some foreign host and drop sensitive sources. but when i connect on
> their machine, i want to be able to make an any ftp i want.
> the deny of outgoing ftp must on be only for these students.

When you say "PC" I assume they are running WinXX as their "OS".  In any
event you say when you are using their PC you want to be able to do any
sort of FTP you want.  Now I don't know if the ftp client on a WinXX box
can be restricted to a given set of users.  If it can....then you have a
solution.  In that case the solution needs to be implemented on the
end-user's PC as a normal FTP connection has no way of knowing who typed
"ftp sexpalace.com" :-)

Your other alternative would be to force users to ftp via a proxy server
to which they need to authenticate before being allowed through.  A bit of
work to setup and administrate.

Regards,
Ed