Re: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

John:

The breath of knowledge to understand and to be able to configure ALL linux programs is tremendous. Like you, I had a similar experience awhile back with a small office network I had been using samba with for years. I got cable and wanted to serve up browsing and email to the other XP clients on the network. I got browsing working but was unable to handle the email configuration. My work depended on getting things up and running quickly. My solution was to ask for help. I agreed to pay an individual that had been helping me anyway but because of my ignorance was taking too long. I allowed him ssh access and he was able to get me up and running quickly. The gentleman is still working with IPTable for me but I have rules in place now that have been working without a hitch. If you would like a reference, let me know off line. In summary: if you don't have access to an unix type individual, you can waste a lot of time and get yourself frustrated with documentation that might turn out to be outdated. My approach may be considered a cop-out by some but it worked for me.
John