From: Thomas Robinson [mailto:tom.robinson@daedaluscompass.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 1:23 PM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 17:52, John Nall wrote:
> determined.  How in the world do you accomplish ICS???
For the non-windows people; what's ICS? (Internet Connection Sharing???)

> I think that I have managed to get the dial-up
> machine working OK,

You need to specify the gateway computer in windows. That will be the
linux computer that does the internet dialling for your network. I'm no
expert at windows but I think you need to adjust the network settings so
that the gateway is set correctly.

That done, you will probably need some sort of NAT on the gateway
computer to get to the outside world. That leads to all sorts of other
questions like: you want a firewall, right?

I could assume that you're running redhat but I'll ask anyway. What
distribution of Linux are you running? Red Hat has a firewall you can
setup during install.

For a dedicated firewall/router you might try Bering which can be found
on the LEAF (Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall) website.
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/index.php?menu=1
 (I've not used Bering but it looks quite good. I've used dachstein
which was it's predecessor). These sort of firewalls typically boot from
a floppy or CD so you can generally try them out without destroying an
existing setup.

> but setting up the other two machines to access the
> Internet through the network seems to be a black hole.  Using the Network
> Configuration tool (from Gnome) on them merely seems to duplicate what I
> already did when setting up the Ethernet connection.   Do they have to
know
> an IP address for a name server??  This takes place at my ISP, so I don't
> have any way of knowing the IP address for it.

It would be helpful to know your LAN a bit more. How many systems and
what OS's are you running? Is it heterogeneous or homogeneous?

When you set up an interface on linux you should also set up the gateway
(as you did for windows). This creates a route on the machine to send
packets to. On linux the nameserver information goes in
/etc/resolv.conf. man resolv.conf will give you a few pointers there. If
you don't run BIND then you will need some host resolution through
/etc/hosts (man hosts). For more on linux networking try
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/.

Some other commands that you might like to try on the command-line or
read the man pages for are:
route
ifconfig
netstat