From: John Nall [mailto:jnall01@alltel.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 12:53 PM
To: RH8.0 List
Subject: Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

There is something I can't seem to grasp, and so far I have not found the
answer.  I'm trying to ween myself away from Windows and migrate to Linux
(for several reasons) but gosh it sure is not easy to do even when one is
determined.  How in the world do you accomplish ICS???

With Windows XP I just set up one machine as the one with access to  the
Internet (through a dial-in modem) using the Network Configuration
Wizard.  The other two machines (on a 3-machine home LAN) then are set up
as having their access through  the network.  Easy to do, works like a
charm.  (I am NOT praising Windows, merely observing that it is easy to do
this).

It is not easy with Linux.   With assistance from people here, pointing me
to HOWTO's and tutorials, I think that I have managed to get the dial-up
machine working OK, but setting up the other two machines to access the
Internet through the network seems to be a black hole.  Using the Network
Configuration tool (from Gnome) on them merely seems to duplicate what I
already did when setting up the Ethernet connection.   Do they have to know
an IP address for a name server??  This takes place at my ISP, so I don't
have any way of knowing the IP address for it.

As I said, I'm doggedly trying to do this switch over, but it sure is not
easy.  Sometimes I think that Linux afficionados just take a peverse pride
in things being difficult.  That way, just everyone and his or her brother
can't do it.  :-)   (If I am honest with myself, I will probably be the
same way once I get it down.  IF I live long enough).

John