Re: Filesystems

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 07:33, David.Grudek@anixter.com uttered:
> Does anyone know why different filesystems are available on so many of the
> other distro's but Red Hat does not support them.  Mandrake, Suse, Debian,
> Slackware, and others do support xfs.  It handles acl's natively and Red
> Hat took out acl support in there new kernel yet they won't support
> filesystems that do support ACL's.  I called Red Hat to ask questions
> about the issue but they went off claiming that all of these other
> distro's suck.  I think so far that all these other distro's have more
> support for these different situations.  They also claimed that just
> recently that they changed their policy, even if you buy a copy of Red Hat
> they will not support you like they did before, unless you buy the
> advanced server version.  I am a newbie to linux trying to get off of M$
> but this does not seem like a place with any better attitude then M$
> themselves. I hope that I am wrong.  If anyone has had different
> experiences with Red Hat  please let me know.  I am hoping that I just got
> a guy in a bad mood.  If any one know's where you can put in a request for
> new features to be added to the distro for Red Hat I would appreciate it.

Inclusion of other file systems would mean that Red Hat would have to support
them.  Since each new file system woudl have to be used throughout their
entire QA process, it would double/triple/quadruple the QA process time, and
really leave the customers in a bad place when waiting for security errata
and whatnot.  Nothing is stopping you from rebuilding your kernel for those
file systems.  Keep in mind, that a lot of them won't stand up to initial QA
runs that Red Hat does.

You can ask for distro enhancements at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE