Re: OT tunning network

On Sunday 16 February 2003 02:08 pm, faisal gillani wrote:
> --- Mike Watson <mikew@crucis.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 February 2003 01:00 pm, faisal gillani
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Well sorry for this Ot Question
> > >
> > > i have a 100mbps network
> > > utp cable 10/100 mbps switch hub
> > > 60 clients consisting of Linux , Windows & solaris
> >
> > O/S
> >
> > > Dns is used for name resolution
> > > there is a local webserver "Apache" running on my
> > > network which provides large media files to
> >
> > clients as
> >
> > > downloads...
> > > the problem that when clients downloads the
> >
> > download
> >
> > > speed they get is ranging from 400kbps to 1.5 mbps
> >
> > ..
> >
> > > both in rush hour & off hours .
> > > so i wanted to know is that normal ? if not then
> >
> > wat
> >
> > > can be the problem & how can i fix it ?
> > >
> > > thankx for reading
> >
> > A couple of questions...
> >

> > What type/brand/model router ar you using?
>
> i am not using any router ... all clinets are on same
> segment
>
> > You referenced cable---what kind? Cat 5?
>
> yes CAT5
>
> > Are these internal or external clients?
>
> they are all internel clients
>
> > What is the distance between the server and (1) the
>
> the distance ranges between 100 feets to 300 feets as
> i have multiple switches or SOHO switch

I suspect that due to the distance, your client NICs are switching down
to 10 MPS.  100MBS begins to see errors when cable runs are over 100
feet, even with CAT 5.  I had a similar situation at my office not long
ago. We had to install a router between the switch and some long
distance clients to get back up to 100mb.  We were using VoIP so the
speed difference was quite noticable.

You might want to check it out.

mw