Re: Time Drift / Shift Problem - Please Help

Charlie McVeigh wrote:

My RH 8.0 Linux machine loses or gains time every 12-20 minutes while it
is running.  The time changes that I have experienced range from +/- 13
hours to as little as +/- 32 seconds (see sample logs below).
I assume you looked all the various log files in /var/log/*. Any hints? E.g., I have OpenAFS running on my computers, and particularily fast is
the hardware clock of the one at home that it has to be set back several
seconds every hour. These corrections show up in /var/log/messages.

Cheers,

Michael

I seem to remember a report of an interaction between the battery monitor
tool and time of day. You might try disabling the battery monitor and
see what happens.
{^_^}

When I first started getting serious about troubleshooting this problem,
I did notice an interaction between apmd and the timing of the time
shift in /var/log/messages.  I subsequently disabled apmd and as a
result 2 things happened:

1)  There is no longer any indication of any problems in
/var/log/messages  (apmd was the only thing balking when the time
drift/shift occurred).

2) The time drift/shift problem continues even with apmd disabled.

Charlie

I have been giving some thought to this, and I must admit I am stumped (not all that hard to do!).

I know you have said that ntpd is not running. Try running it, and see what happens. You will need to select a time server (use ntp.shorty.com). Let us know what happens with respect to the drift.

Cheers--
Charles