sendmail SMTP_AUTH question

Title: sendmail SMTP_AUTH question

Greetings.

I have been looking at enabling SMTP_AUTH on a sendmail server I am working with.  After reading some of the fine print from a number of howtos, it looks like there is no guarantee that all the various and sundry email clients out there will be able to connect with the server once SMTP_AUTH is active.  Additionally, it appears that some re-configurations on the client side need to be made, if it does indeed understand SMTP_AUTH.

If this is the case, does anyone have any other options to eliminate the open relay issue?  (I will eventually be handling mail from an unknown amount of users, from an unknown amount of ip addresses, most with laptops with varying os'es and dial-in internet connections.  Off sight, of course.  Not a pretty picture...)

Red Hat 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-19.8.0

sendmail 8.12.5-7

Thanks for your time.

Monty