problems with big secondary HDD

Hello,

I have a problem with my secondary IDE hard drive. RedHat 8.0 can see it but when I try to examine it with fdisk it just says:

[root@idefix] /otherfs /sbin/fdisk /dev/hdc

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1027.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Unable to seek on /dev/hdc
[root@idefix] /otherfs

Using the boot parameter hdc=7297,255,63 (that's the geometry of the disk) doesn't help either.

So I installed RedHat 8.0 on my primary IDE drive and tried to figure out what's going on. I configured the kernel with ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support (ATA-2 support) and then I could access the disk.

It's no solution to have Linux on the primary disk (except the boot partition of course) because it is way too small.

So my question is: Is there a way to get it to work without recompiling the kernel ?
Is there a boot parameter or something else I could try ?

Thanks in advance !

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards

    Juergen Wittmann

                            "If it won't fit, try a bigger hammer"