Re: kernel upgrade/ kickstart question

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 03:40, Tony Nugent wrote:
> On Wed Feb 12 2003 at 16:46, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > Personally, I do all errata as a postinstall process.  The Red Hat installer
> > has not been tested with new package sets, and isn't recommended to work.
>
> Pity that.
>
> > Doing the base install, then applying applicable errata has worked great for
> > us so far.
>
> It seems so wasteful (in several ways) to a fresh install of a
> system and then (manually or in a kickstart %post script)
> immediately do an rpm -U (or -F) over a big bunch of update
> packages.  It would be _so_ cool to simply put (replace) the updates
> into (or alongside?) the installer's RedHat/RPMS/ directory, do a
> genhdlist and pkgorder (etc) over it all, then away you go.
>
> This issue really bit me (and others) hard with rh7.3 when I was
> happily going along rebuilding the installer itself... all was well
> and good -- until the kernel was updated to 2.4.18-<whatever> and
> the installer failed to build.  Ouch.  However, resorting to using
> the last kernel that did work (2.4.9-x iirc) for the installer did
> solve the problem, with the only post-install task left being to
> update to the new kernel.

What do you mean by 'rebuilding the installer itself'? On our 7.x
systems we've been quite happily replacing packages with their updates
(including the kernel up to kernel-2.4.18-24), running genhdlist,
creating a cdrom and installing from it, or installing directly via ftp.
The only bad thing I've noticed is that glibc-common fails to install,
and has to be updated manually in the postinstall section. Did I miss
something?

Regards,

Chris