Re: Pushing updates ?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 04:26:47PM -0500, Allan M. Stewart wrote:

> What is the best way to update many servers at customer sites?
>
> Let say for example that a new SSH package comes out. Since this is
> security related, we probably DO want to get this update on all
> of our servers in customer sites. Isn't there something better
> than telnet'ing into each server, FTP'ing (or other method) a RPM
> there and running RPM to update.

A cheap choice would be to rsync/ftp/scp the package to the other end,
and then rpm -Fvh the package.

push the package out from the web, or you can have a local cron job do
the dirty deed.

> There is rsync, but that end runs around the RPM package manager.
> Since these servers may not be identical clones, I think package
> management is recommended. Yes?

IMHO, package management is always recommended.  rsync'ing the package
and then using rpm would be much better.

> Caldera gave us a sales presentation about a year ago and they had
> something (volution?) that did this, but their licensing costs were
> way high. They priced themselves out of the picture. Does RedHat
> or any third party have something to make remote system/package
> management easier for many (100+) systems?

Red Hat can help.  Check out
https://rhn.redhat.com/info/overview_enterprise.pxt

I'm sure that there are other solutions, but these are all supported and
will work.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA