Xwindows problems (both gnome and kde)

I posted this to the install list a few days ago but haven't yet had a response and
I still haven't figured it out on my own

I upgraded my RH7.3 to RH 8.0 and am getting some xwindows problems

When I log into Gnome I get a error about the Gnome settings daeon starting too many
times .. it says the last error message was OAFIID:Gnome_SettingsDaemon

When I log into KDE it usually (but not always) totally locks up my laptop at the

The same applies to whether I log in as root or a regular user

I've determined that it is not a network problem (ie nfs mount) since the same
problem occurs whether I'm connected or not

I know my way around a Linux command prompt bt am still learning the XFree system
(so references to command line tools are not a problem)