Re: New RH 8.0 kernel

On Sat Feb 08 2003 at 11:51, Mike Watson wrote:

> I just updated to the new kernel Red Hat just released.  When I

I've heard nothing but problems about this new kernel.  And not just
for rh80, but for 7.3 and 7.2 as well.  Not good.  I'll be checking
bugzilla later today to see what has been posted there about it, you
might want to do the same thing.  (bugzilla.redhat.com)

> rebooted, it didn't recognize the proc nor swap filesystems and asked
> for fsck to be run.

/proc is a _virtual_ filesystem, don't run fsck on that.  It is a
"virtual window" into the inner workings of the running kernel.
Very cool.

And don't run fsck on your swap partition either, that's not needed.

Perhaps the best way to check the integrity of swap partitions is to
go into single user mode, turn off swap (to make sure it isn't being
used), then try making an ext2 or ext3 parition on it with verbose
bad-block checking.  _Then_ check it with fsck.  (Don't mount it).
Finally, run "mkswap" on that parition and "swapon" to enable it
again.

  (Note that swap partitions don't normally need formatting like
  that, it is enough to set the partition type to "linux swap" with
  fdisk and then enable it with mkswap).

> I rebooted using the previous kernel and all was OK.

Indeed :)

> I'm running on a AMD Duron, 800 MHz, half of a WD 80GB drive, 192MB
> memory.  All other errata has been applied.

Are you using the athlon version of the kernel?

> Anyone else have this problem?

(I don't have an athlon, and I haven't yet rebooted into the new
kernel myself... from what I'm hearing I don't think I'll bother:)

> MW

Good luck.

Cheers
Tony