GRUB and 3Ware

I installed RH8.0 on a system using a 3Ware 7500-8 card. The install went well
except for the bootloader. I choose GRUB like I have for other systems. This
is the first time I chose GRUB on a 3Ware system. When I reboot, the system
just hangs. I can boot from the boot floppy that I created without any
problem. I can also boot from a GRUB floppy that I created with grub-install
/dev/fd0. When I try to install GRUB to the Master boot sector of the hard
drive array with grub-install /dev/sda, I get an error:
Error 24: Attempt to access block outside partition
Now if I install the OS and choose LILO as the boot loader, it boots from the
hard disk array without any problem at all. I find this most curious as GRUB
is supposed to be more flexible as well as less prone to issues that LILO
suffers from. Any info would be greatly appreciated.