kudzu + printer question.

I am a little confused. I am not aware that before RH 8.0 that kudzu
detected whether or not the local printer is on and interprets the fact
that the printer is off as meaning that the printer hardware is no
longer present. Then kudzu offers to unconfigure the printer. It will
also afterward offer to configure the printer.

On my RH 8.0 system I can boot the machine with the printer off and
no kudzu message appears. A colleague has the experience that kudzu
does offer to unconfigure the printer.

On what does this different behavior depend? Is it the type of
printer or a difference in the kudzu configuration?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.