Re: rawhide

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:14:20PM -0800, Stephen Mah wrote:
> Does rawhide mean that the packages are beta?

The definitive answer comes from Red Hat themselves. In the rawhide
directory, you'll find a README.  I'm including parts below since this
quetion gets asked frequently.  Read the README - it has important
warnings!  It's over 3 years old, but still valid.

--- snip ---

Chomping at the Bit for Raw Hide

The growing user base of Linux highlights the need for early, accurate,
and broadly disseminated information on new features and trends in Linux
development. We can't think of a better way of keeping our user base fully
informed on what we are up to then regularly posting our development release
and source code. Announcements on http://developer.redhat.com and newsletters
available from Red Hat will provide our users with constant updates on the
evolution of Red Hat Linux.

Raw Hide Can Be a Bit Tough to Chew on So Run at Your Own Risk (and Enjoyment)

These releases have not been quality tested by Red Hat's Quality Assurance
team. They may not boot. If they boot, they may not install. If they install,
they may not do anything other then waste CPU cycles. If anything breaks,
you most assuredly own the many fragments which will be littered across your
floor.

It may not be possible to upgrade from Red Hat to Raw Hide, from Raw Hide
to Red Hat, or from Raw Hide to Raw Hide! If a stable upgrade path is
important to you, please do not use Raw Hide.

DO NOT USE THESE RELEASES FOR ANY WORK WHERE YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION
RUNNING, THE ACCURACY OF YOUR DATA, THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR NETWORK, OR ANY
OTHER PURPOSE FOR WHICH A RESPONSIBLE HUMAN WOULD USE A COMPUTER. (But then
again what would be the fun of hacking Linux if there wasn't some risk
involved. ;-)....)

These releases will be available from ftp.redhat.com:/pub/rawhide. A list
of Raw Hide mirrors will be available as such mirrors come online.

Enjoy!
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org