Re: [Fwd: Binary only RPM ??]

Hi,

I think there is no problem building a RPM/SRPM combination
based only on a binary product. I have seen this done with
the Acrobat Reader and Netscape Communicator RPMS, these RPM
is based on the "binary tar.gz" that you download from
the vendor.

In this case, the "build" stage of the SPEC file can be
blank or replaced with some command to move the files etc.

You should study the netscape SRPM that comes with RedHat 7.x
to see the differences and the building process.

Best regards,

"Allan M. Stewart" wrote:

> This is probably the wrong place to ask, hopefully someone
> can point me to the right place.
>
>    I am new to making RPMs. I've read over the "maximum RPM" guide
> and don't understand how (or if possible) to do a simple binary-only
> RPM. The guide seems to imply that you must do a build in order to
> create an RPM. Our build process is not fully developed. Some of it is
> done by hand. Also, this is proprietary software to run on our servers
> at client locations, so we don't want to include source.
>
>   What I want to do is take the compiled binaries (and a few config/data
> files) and make a binary installation RPM. Scripting the whole build
> process in order to build an RPM seems like overkill for what I'm
> trying to do.
>
>   Is there an easy way to just package files and tell RPM where to
> put them on install?
>
> Allan
>
> --
> "Someday I hope to meet Bill Gates......so I can knee him in the groin"
>
> --

Jhon H. Caicedo O. <jhcaiced@osso.org.co>
Area de Sistemas/Instrumentacion
Observatorio Sismológico del SurOccidente O.S.S.O
http://www.osso.org.co
Cali - Colombia