Re: RH vs Other Distributions

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:47:51AM -0600, Shoemaker, Michael (STL) wrote:
> Im curious what the majdr differences are between Red Hat and other distro's?  Anyone know of a site that does a compare/contrast.  I know Debian had a huge surge a while back due to its ability to auto update, but now that RH has up2date(assuming they provide similar functionality) does this preference still exists.  Is there one distro that is better served for workstation installs vs server installs?  Any input would be appreciated even if its just a thought, nothing concrete.

Please wrap your lines...

In the past, I've always like Red Hat for servers, and Mandrake for
workstations.  I believe that's changing, especially considering the
serious financial trouble that Mandrake is in and Red Hat's current
focus on better supporting desktops than they have in previous years.

Your definition of "better" is probably different than mine.  I look for
a distribution that provides superb support, especially as it concerns
security releases.  I believe the top distros in this regard are Red
Hat, SuSe, and Mandrake.  I haven't checked lately since I use Red Hat
exclusively now and am still very satisfied with their security
features (some of which don't work).

You need to determine what you are actually looking for in a distro, and
we can't do that for you. Each distro has its strengths and weaknesses
and you need to know how that affects you and what you're trying to
accomplish.  Do you want long-term stability or do you want
bleeding-edge features?  Do you want support from 3rd parties, or are
happy with the products that the distributor ships?  Are you a developer
that needs to develop and test code for common distributions?  Or are
you running a small DNS/web/mail server at home?

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org