Re: User groups

On 11:53 02 Feb 2003, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@dgilmore.net> wrote:
| <snip>
| > The advantage of the per-user matching group is that it makes group
| > collaboration very easy. When you work with others, sharing files, you
| > often have a shared area (the "project" directory at my workplace) where
| > the files are group owned by a group for the project and the setgid bit
| > is on all the directories so new files acquire that group for sharing
| > purposes. Naturally, doing group work one's umask should be 007 or
| > 002 (depending on security environment - we do 002 at work).  _BUT_,
| > how to ensure that personal files (made elsewhere, eg your $HOME dir)
| > are private by default, and _without_ just putting 700 mode on $HOME,
| > because we have a fairly open culture at work. It would be nice to not
| > have to remember to hack your umask when switching to/from group work.
| >
| You can set the shared directory to be owned by user nobody and group
| "Shared" then run chmod 2770 on the directory. [...snip...]

Which is exactly what I just described. You've missed the point.

The blessing of the per-user group is that you don't need to hack your umask
between group and personal stuff.

Please learn to trim quoted matrial for relevance. Thanks.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

It is idle to talk always of the alternative of reason and faith.
Reason itself is a matter of faith.
	- James Sledd <jsledd@mcneil.sas.upenn.edu>