Re: User groups

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Listman wrote:

> When I create a new user, by default the user belongs to a group of the same
> name.  Why is this?  It seems to me that having a group for every single
> user is overkill.  Id like to have all users belong to a 'users' group and
> then more priviledged users belong to an 'admin type group'.
>
> My question is, can I delete the user groups that have the same name us
> users?  Thanks in advance.

The Red Hat documentation has a very nice description of this system.
Look for "user private groups".  It actually makes collaborative work much
simpler and gives much finer control over who can look at each other's
files.

For a home system, it might be overkill, but Red Hat tools are all set up
to do it that way by default, and what's the harm in a little security
overkill anyway?  If I could convince my work sysadmin (large university
environment) to do this, it would be great.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@clemson.edu