From: psyche-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:psyche-list-admin@redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Jay Crews
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 3:33 PM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: User groups

Listman writes....

> When I create a new user, by default the user belongs to a group of
> the same name.  Why is this?  It seems to me that having a group for
> every single

It's for securty, and yes it probably is a little overkill.

> user is overkill.  Id like to have all users belong to a 'users' group
> and then more priviledged users belong to an 'admin type group'.

Read the man page for 'adduser'.  Note the -g and -G options.

> My question is, can I delete the user groups that have the same name
> us users?  Thanks in advance.

That's going to be a pain.
You're going to have the change groups for the files already created.  And
not all are in $HOME.  ie /var/spool/mail

You said, "When I create a new user......."
You mean "a" user as in one user?
Do the easy thing.  Just delete the user, and re-create it with the proper
-g and -G options.

FAR easier!

-- Jay Crews
jpc@jaycrews.com