Re: iptables strangeness

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:11:14 -0800, jdow wrote:

> > In building a script for my iptables commands, I find that if I
> > enter the command:
> >
> > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -o ppp+ -j
> > MASQUERADE
> >
> > from a command prompt, then it executes correctly, but if I place
> > the identical command into a file and invoke it as a script, then it
> > fails with the message:
> >
> > iptables v1.2.6a: Couldn't load target
> > `MASQUERADE':/lib/iptables/libipt_MASQUERADE.so: cannot open shared
> > object file: No such file or directory.
> >
> > All of my other iptables commands (non of which reference
> > MASQUERADE), execute equally well from either the command prompt or
> > the script.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Yeah, is the ipchains emulation turned off and expunged from your
> system?
>
> service ipchains stop
> rpm -e ipchains
>
> Ipchains interferes with iptables. It's just a thought....

No. I have strong doubts that this thought is in the right
direction. First of all, /lib/iptables/libipt_MASQUERADE.so is a
netfilter _userspace_ extension module, not a kernel module.
Secondly, if the ipchains kernel module were loaded, it would block
message. And most important, any other iptables commands wouldn't
work at all.

An error like above can be the result of a syntax or type error,
even junk at the end of a line or corrupted delimiters. Which
userspace extension module is loaded depends on at least one
command-line argument, e.g. the -p/--protocol argument and the
- -m/--match argument for match extensions or the -j/--jump argument
for target extensions like MASQUERADE.

If the file /lib/iptables/libipt_MASQUERADE.so is not missing and
the same rule is accepted on the command-line, find out a
reproducible test-case.

Try shortening your script as much as possible while keeping
the problem reproducible.

- --