RE: Sendmail config

Brian,

Based on the requirements you have stated in other posts, you should not
have to configure your MTA to listen on another port. You have other
problems. Probably firewall related.

Might I suggest that you take a big step backwards and...

1) Create a LAN/WAN firewall design document. Create a document for each
site/office. The following link will give you an example of what I do before
I sit down to configure a firewall and the available services running behind
that firewall. If you don't have access to Visio, then use a spreadsheet
program and map the services available between firewall zones as I have
shown in this document. Anyway, checkout:
http://www.infohiiway.com/cowlesnet for an example

2) Configure/test your firewall(s) to the design document(s) created in step
one. Test using ip addresses/ports, not FQDN. If you are unable to contact a
particular service... (do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars) fix the
problem before continuing to step 3. With regards to sendmail, I remove the
daemonportoptions at this stage until I get the firewall working correctly.
I also place ALL: ALL in /etc/hosts.allow until I get the firewall working.
Then I lock down the application. (step 4 below)

3) Resolve DNS (resolver lib) issues. Especially issues like accessing a
masq'd system from behind your firewall using your firewalls external IP
address. Some firewalls are just not capable of (re)masq'ing packets of
data. i.e. From a node on your private LAN (192.168.1.20), access your web
server by its FQDN www.mydomain.com (which is also on your private LAN at
192.168.1.10) using a public IP address (returned from ISP's DNS server).
The packet is first masq'd, then hits the external ip address of your
firewall, then the firewall (if configured) must remasq this packet and send
it back out on the private LAN segment. I won't even get into the reply
packet path. :-(

IMO: This type of packet traversal just flat out sucks! But if your not able
to setup your own autonomous caching DNS server (behind your firewall) to
return a private IP address for www.mydomain.com, then your stuck with this
horrible hack where your firewall is involved in accessing local systems.

FWIW: I run a multi-view bind-9 setup at this end. If a DNS request comes
from the internet for www.mydomain.com, the public IP address is returned
(external ip of firewall). If a DNS request comes from my private/dmz
networks for www.mydomain.com, the private ip address is returned (rfc1918
address). This eliminates my firewall from handling requests that originate
locally, but destined for the local/dmz networks.

4) Finally, once the above tasks are complete and tested, configure your
application services like smtp, www, etc... With regards to your post, my
smtp server (sendmail) is configured to handle multiple domains along with
being a backup MX for other domains. For my registered domains, I have
configured sendmail (running in the dmz) to relay all inbound e-mail to my
exchange server (mailertable). For the backup MX domains, sendmail is
configured to queue all e-mail locally for later delivery using ETRN (also
using the mailertable). All this is done with a single instance of sendmail
listening on port 25. i.e. No DeamonPortOptions...

Well thats my two bits (well really 4 bits)

Good Luck
Steve Cowles