Re: dump failing at EOT

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Justin Clacherty wrote:

> >From what I read into Linus's e-mail I don't think he's intending to fix
> it...If I remember correctly (been a while since I read it) he said "just
> use tar, there is no guarantee that future versions of the kernel will
> work".
>
> > Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> >
> > > Simply put, I'm using an Exabyte 8505XL tape drive and dump fails upon
> > > reaching the EOT.
> > >
> > > Some system background...
> > >
> > > Kernel 2.4.20-ac2
> > > IDE Hard disk and IDE CDRom
> > >
> > There was a posting by Linux himself, saying NOT to use dump with the
> > 2.4 kernel, because it would at some point cause corruption. I have not
> > heard if this is fixed. You might want to look into something like tar,
> > cpio, amanda, or arkeia (http://www.arkeia.com).
> >
> > arkeia is a little tedious to setup, but once you get it working, it
> > works great and is easy to use.

The thread relating to what Linus said (if I have found the correct one)
is rather old (April/May 2001); it can be found at:

 http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.3/0581.html
 http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.3/0727.html

The full threads "SMP race in ext2 - metadata corruption" can be found
here:

 http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.3/index.html#507
 http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0105.0/index.html#435

--