Re: mysql problem

Dave Robbins writes....

> nah, hosts.allow and hosts.deny are clean
> like I said, I think there is some mysql trick that fixes this

Well.......you're able to connect from localhost using 'mysql'
and telnet, right?  So it looks like up to the point of the mysql
server watching port 3306, it's doing it's job.  I can see that if you
were using some other client app to try to get to it, and failed, you
might ask whether it failed due to connection OR a login problem.
But I think the telnet 3306 isolates that.

> it just seems like this would be a common problem
> have you run a similar setup and done this??

I tried this from my roomies laptop, on the LAN.  I forget exactly
how I have the firewall set, but I think medium.
The MySQL I have if from the RH8.0 distribution, and I just let it
install itself.  Other than granting permissions to my own login
name (which is the same as my Linux login, but doesn't have to be),
I have done nothing else to it.

I connected with   telnet 192.168.0.200 3306
with no problem.
I wish I knew more about iptables (and that IS one of my tasks for the
VERY near future), but I would look in that direction.  The server seems
to be running fine, it's just that 'something' is in its way.

And I do agree with your other post.
I would not start playing around with IP tables, not knowing how to
restore what you changed, and make the whole issue more complicated.
Sorry that I cannot add more to the iptables/firewall issues.

-- Jay Crews
jpc@jaycrews.com