Re: Domain Hosting on Cable

Dennis Gilmore writes....

> As long as your ISP allows you to run servers, use dyndns.org  or
> something simmilar to give you a static dns server.  you need to pay $30
> to use each domain name.  which they say is forever.  they will let you
> control all the dns  they just forward requests to you. =20

zoneedit.com is free up to a certain number of hits.  I forget the
actual number, but I never come CLOSE to using up all of mine, and I give
give mine a good workout to be just a server for personal use.
In which case if you do, I think it's only about $10.00 for more.

I have my network setup just the way you are describing.
Cable modem for home use.  DHCP, but the IP never changes.
Run it all through a D-Link router.
Port 80 is blocked, but there are simple ways around that.
Just run the server to listen to 8080, or some other unused port.
And $30.00/mo sure beats the $300+ they want for a static IP.

Good luck.

--JC

> Dennis
>
>  On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 03:45, Thom Paine wrote:
> > Is there a way that I can host all 4 domains I own on a cable connection?
> > They are all low bandwidth domains, I just use them for email and a few w=
> eb
> > pages mostly. I'm going to be leaving my job and will no longer be able t=
> > host them there. I'd like to have them at home on my personal server and
> > network, as I can manage them easier. I just don't know what options I ha=
> ve
> > available as a cable internet user.
> >=20
> > Thanks.