Re: Linux backup software

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:14:53AM -0400, Lionel Barrow wrote:
> Ok guys, I got hopefully an easy question for you to answer. I need a
> reputable, powerful and easy to configure Linux backup program. I am going
> to be configuring several RH 8.0 machines for some of my customers and I
> want a solution where they just have to insert a tape, click a button and
> the next day, take that tape out, another one and repeat process.
>
> Please, I need as many suggestions as possible with their associated web
> links. This is very urgent. Thanks in advance guys.
>
> Salty

I don't know about reputable, but I've got something.    :-)

I've just bought a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD recorder and 10 DVD-RW disks
for $370.  It writes DVD-RW disks at 2x speed.  Each disk holds 4.7 GB.

So I wrote a set of scripts that do full and incremental backups.
These are ordinary bash scripts that use standard commands in RH 8.0 -
find, awk, mkisofs, dvdrecord.  They produce N disks, each with a portion
of the filesystem.  Each disk is a standalone mountable filesystem which
provides random access to the files on it.  Recovery is simple.  Just
mount the right disk and copy whatever you need back to the harddrive.

The iso image is created on the fly and piped to dvdrecord, so there's
no need for 4.7 GB of empty diskspace for an intermediate image file.

A recent full backup of my system used 3 disks and took 1 hr 21 m.
This compares with a DAT tape run that needed 6 tapes, 3 hr EACH!

My dvdbu scripts are new and lightly tested.  I'd be happy to share
them by direct email with anyone willing to give some feedback.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad@datix.2y.net    (828) 696-8646;  fax (828) 694-1037