clock falling behind 2-3 minutes every hour!

Hi all,

I've been googling this topic with little success, so I am now querying
the list. I have had two laptops with RH 8 installed, and on both
systems, the clock seems to fall behind the actual time by 2 or 3
minutes every hour.

I have NTPd setup, and it correctly updates my system every time I
bootup. But when I leave my laptop running for several hours (every day
at the office, for example), I can watch as the clock falls behind.

Needless to say, this is driving me nuts. I used to run Mandrake
(several versions over the last three years), and never ran into this
problem. I like RedHat 8 in all other ways, thus I want to stick with
it, but I hate having to manually update the clock on a regular basis
just to keep it somewhat accurate.

Aside from maybe creating a cron job to run ntpd, is there any real fix
for this? I was thinking that if I could get RH to just obey the
hardware clock, rather than overriding the hardware clock, then the
problem would go away.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
--
Dave Sherman