Re: What programming languages are available for Linux?

Buck wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, JD,
>
> I am trying to find software to program Linux for my own personal
> projects.    I prefer some form of public license such as gpl.
> Visual Basic won't run on Linux, so I am looking for something I can
> use.  I am hoping for something that allows me to create desktop
> applications, but if it happens that I can use one for desktop and it
> creates web pages, that's fine too.  Depending on the execution speed
> and programming time, I would not mind one that only runs in a web
> browser, but I prefer to have non-browser windows at my option.

I would use Perl (with DBI for database access and Tk for GUI
development, web pages are already included with CGI, all free from
cpan.org), but there is no graphical IDE that I know of. Perl scripts
mostly run without any modification on several platforms like Linux and
Windows.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

P.S.: Please do not quote the complete message you are replying to!
Thanks!
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/